Monday, July 30, 2007

Le Chat (Eliana)

Eli is 6. She's gorgeous like all my girls, and I tell her often... I tell them all often. That's what daddies do. I was reading while they were picking up for bed, and then the two older girls scampered. "What way do you read?" I pointed left to right and she nodded in understanding. "What are you reading?" Point Man, I answered. "What's it about?" It's about being a man. "But you already know how to be a man," she replied - though perplexed, there was resolve in her tone. I know dolly, I said. But it will help me to be a better daddy and husband, and a better man. "Oh, OK," she replied, matter-of-factly. The she pushed the book out of the way, crawled on my lap and stretched out like a cat. "You're the best daddy in the world," and then she fell asleep. I finished the chapter (ironically about children), and put the book away. I touched her soft face, played with her angel hair and then just listened to her breathe. It was like she was an infant again...only better. Now it was my turn to be perplexed as a wonder filled question came softly - was my heart more warmed more at being "the best daddy in the world," or because she felt so safe laying on my leaned back body, that within minutes she was sound asleep... I think the later, but they're both pretty great.

No comments: