Wednesday, July 18, 2007

You can tell a lot about a man...

"You can tell a lot about a man on a golfcourse." I'd attribute the words to the man who spoke them in a dry monotone and a smirk yesterday, but I think the quote is famous...or infamous by now. The point is - you can tell a lot about a man on a golfcourse. I have a theory, and it's this. That everyone cheats on the golfcourse. Everyone except those few who don't. We were standing on a fairway behind a tree. 4 person scramble. Player A (with the dry monotone) tossed the marker tee 3 or 4 feet away from the tree with some subtlty. Before he could pick up the tree ball, player B "coughed" and "foot wedged" the ball 3 or 4 feet to the left achieving the same result as player A. Player C would have simply put the ball down where he wanted and swung knowing that he wouldn't be criticized...the old guy. And me? I could care a less, and so I would (and did) wait for all the cheating to unfurl, and simply became an accomplice to the crime. I mean, if three cheaters all had the same idea it must count for something right?!

OK, just kidding...it was a fun tornoment, and we weren't in real contention for first place. And player A was probobally within the rules (like I would know) moving the ball a clublength (and a little). But it really is true isn't it? You can tell a lot about a man by the way he plays golf!

Maybe later I'll gather my thoughts about Fathers and Sons in the form of the last hole $2 challenge by our most senior player and his son. The game changes when there's pride and cash on the line!

No comments: