Friday, July 6, 2007

What I do...fireflies

I do my best to be aware of wonder. However, last night it was my wife who noticed first. As we drove down this swampy country road in the dark of the late night, she startled me..."Stop." I stopped, and looked. The field was alight with fireflies all blinking their green-yellow blinks. There were thousands, probobobally tens of thousands. I'm a country boy, and I've seen a lot of fireflies in my life. But never this. The entire swamp blinking like a Christmas tree. We sat there on the side of the road not really caring who ran into the back of our darkened car oohing and aahing at the show. I got out and stood there in the middle of the road to take it all in. The air was coolish and dampish and it beat any fireworks show that might have been baning in the July 4th distance. Of all the silly things in the midst of all the hard things to think of, I thought of this blog site. But here it is, the entry for July 4th, 2007. I stand in the middle of the road on dark evening and watch fireflies with my wife...sometimes that's what I do. (PS - the image isn't real, and I stole it from somewhere on the web).


No comments: