Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Myrtle Beach

We arrived at 8:45 for a 10:00 AM arrival in Niagara Falls. In fact, we arrived 1:45 hrs. for the flight...that is the arrival. Unfortunately, we arrived 45 minutes late for the departure from Myrtle Beach, SC to Niagara Falls...the next plane out isn't until Friday. What a mess. What a problem. What a blessing.

It took my father 20 minutes to recover (they've had the kids for 3 weeks now). And I had a million work things to juggle now - it's hard to take a week off in the middle of the summer. But the time has been great. We've beached it. Gone to the sculpture garden. Worked on my sunburn. Played. Worked. And today I golfed right after the "Old Guys" bible study. The bible study is really a thing. At 70, my father feels like a "youngster." The oldest man is 98. There were almost 30 men there...most over 70, most strong in the Lord. The pastor referred to the role of mentoring younger men - something appropriate for that group. As I sat there listening, I felt special, priveleged. I was in their world gleaning wisdom and perspective and having a good time as well.

After the study (excellent by the way) we did the traditional pilgrimage to McDonalds for coffee and a cheeseburger, and then off to the golf course for 18 holes. I played with my father, Eddie and Dick. Absolute gentlemen. When you think of the south and what southern people are...Eddie fits the mold perfectly. In fact, I think Eddie is the mold. "Shucks" appeared at every duffed ball! And Dick who is in his late 70s or more toward the end made my day. "You've got three girls right?" Yes sir. "You mind if I give you a little advice?" Please. "Spend time with them. Don't let your career take over your life. I meet too many men who are committees and traveling and doing things with their work. Then one day their kids are grown up and they don't know where the time went." Wisdom from a sage. You know, I try so hard to intentionally love my children, but still it's so encouraging to hear from those who know, that there is a benefit to the labor.

1 comment:

5 Johnson Kids said...

You gotta love the wisdom of Godly older men. Strikes me: one of these days that'll be you and Mike.