Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mighty men!

"Who are you"
"WE'RE SERGEANT BUTTON'S MIGHTY MEN!" they yelled at the top of their lungs (in case the bold type didn't give that away).
Then we acted out King David's mighty men. "Scare the women and children," I commanded them, and my mighty men let out a grown that made me proud." I challenged the crowd, "are you scared?" "No," they laughed. "Again," I demanded of them. Another growl, this one sent shivers down my back. To the crowd I now get serious..."I build for a living, structures that will stand for 200 years. It's rewarding, but that dims in comparison to the work I do with your sons. Thank you for honoring me with them this year."

And then it was the fathers turn to be uncomfortable. I get them for two years, 5th and 6th grades. The fifth grader get promoted to Sergeant from Pea Brain Pond Scums. And the Sergeants...they get promoted from "Sergeant to young men...I can't promote you so easily to men however, you fathers are supposed to do that." A pause. "But if your fathers aren't up to the task, come back and see me, and I'll take care of it." I was going for the Top Gun thing, you know, "if you don't get your rear at your duty station, call me, I'll fly with you anytime." I hope the dads squirmed just a little, knowing if they don't call their sons to be men, that someone else will. Some will think, 'I didn't even know I was supposed to.' And the boys, I know they heard the call clearly. Boys are to become men, and a man has to bestow that honor upon them. The question then is simple, 'what man?'

That's what I do...

No comments: