Sunday, April 1, 2007

Ballroom dancing and being a dad

Until tonight, I would have described my dancing skills as lumbering. But after several practices, the ballroom birthday dance we attended tonight was so much fun...and I did pretty good if I do say so myself! I got to dance with the three most gorgeous ladies at the ball - I may be getting older, but I'm still charming ; )

I sat one out while my three princesses twirled about, and talked with a young father of beautiful girls - the oldest is three. "Tell me what you think the secrets of being a good father are," he asked. The question to me aback for a second...not because it was hard, but because it's a question I often ask. I talked about being a man which means making jewelry with your girls is OK, but letting them paint your nails is not. (If you've made this mistake, it's OK - just don't tell anyone!). That there's no such thing as quality time without quantity time. That there is a time to debate and teach, that there is a time to teach by discipline... I'll see this man tomorrow. I forgot two things - two important things. The first is easy to say, but harder to do - Always make choices that will earn the lifetime respect of your children, rather than their momentary approval. In the span of a life it is always better to be respected than liked. And the second? It takes a lot of work, but the rewards are immense. Intentionally love your children and their mother. The love thing is hard, isn't it? Especially when the Bible says "Love your wife like Christ loved the church...and gave his life for it...through death on the cross." Yikes! Maybe I have some room for improvement : )

No comments: