Wednesday, April 22, 2009

LEED AP - It's what I did

I've been either absent, or intolerable for the last 5+ days. Book in hand, printouts everywhere, flashcards, and a laptop permanently logged into the practice exam site. A USGBC class under my belt, and my head swimming with rainwater calculations, 14,000 CFM/SF, 95% FSC, 75-95-50, etc. etc. Little breaks to geocache. An hour drive to the test site and two long hours one question at a time. Check and recheck and know I failed too many times in those 80 questions. 8 seconds, 7,6,5,4,3,2,1...You have exceeded the time limit. Click "next." A long pause, and then the unceremonial screen. The number is burned in my head. The moment was surreal and euphoric at the same time. I wanted to laugh and cry and leap all at the same time. I passed. I passed the LEED AP exam! I know for those of you who passed the PE or the RA, this is like childs play. It's like flying the T-38 while the F-14s buzz the tower. But it's flying all the same! Who knows, maybe my perspective is wrong. Engineers and architects save the world from failure, rising heat, and bad design (most of the time!). LEED APs? Maybe we help save the world from ourselves...

My wife cried with joy (probobally relieved she wouldn't have to put up with another month of study!), and my kids... "Yeah dad, can we watch TV now?"

No comments: