Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter morning 2009

Easter morning, 2009. 6:15 AM I got my youngest up. "Wanna geocache?!" A groggy, "Noooo. I want to sleep." "But there's a frog coin in the cache!" She leaps out of bed, and we're off. I'm in shorts, T-shirt and a light coat intending to go directly from the cache site to the church to coustume up for the Easter play. She's dressed more warmly, but her tiny body doesn't hold any heat. I'm pressing the speed limit as she reads the GPS and is methodically counting down tenths of miles and minutes to the target..." 9.3, 9.2, 9.1. Daddy, why does the clock say 06:30?" Because we're on a mission darling, now tell me the distance again, and what direction is the arrow pointing - are you holding the GPS straight forward?"

6 minutes 35 seconds. I calculate in my head and jump on the clover leaf. I've been watching the hints of sunrise in the rearview mirror since we left the house...there's time - Barely. No traffic, the car whips to the wrong side of the road and we stop overlooking the lake and let the morning take our breath away. Roll, roll, roll - snap - window back up and we're off again; still enchanted.

We got to the cache easily. Finding the box was a little harder however...in shorts...in 30 degree weather, laughing at the random flakes of snow falling. My gosh, it was cold. But we found it - signed the book and dashed home. "E," I said, show me the coin! "You've got it," she said. Have you ever tried to argue with an 8 year old?

I smiled, and remembered on this wonderful day, He has Risen!

PS-We went back and found the coin that she lost!

1 comment:

Chris said...

(from my one reader)
I believe proper Blog etiquette..would be to tell where this was taken At what time, then let the reader's emotion take them to where you were

When you click that little button on your USA made digital camera……

But NO……you just leave us hanging out here….

Ooooooowwwww how pretty…..

I can just see you on the way to church…and pull the car over,drag the kids out…

"Quick come here and see this" in 34F and 25 mph winds….



But, I know already……. it is YOUR blog .

Any how nice picture…..