Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Psalm 23

It's the little things in life that make all the difference in the world to us. That one person who cared enough to share the tough love no one else would. The uncle who encouraged, though you never really understood why he picked you. The grandfather who always had the time, and a special name for you. It's in each of these fleeting moments that life is truly lived, that bonds are created and memories are made. It's this stuff that makes life worth living. I guess the tragedy is the pain when that person finally leaves the earth...hopefully for heaven. That moment when we're left with not just the pain of the leaving, but the realization of knowing we'll never see them again. There's something about permanency that just aches, isn't there? God knew this. Too well in fact. We were never designed for death. And He knew that the real enemies were Satan and hell and life without him...life outside of the sheep fold. He knew that life on earth would be a struggle, that He made us aliens and strangers in a hostile land. And that if we're to live as lights in this dark world, He would have to "prepare a table for us in the presence of our enemies." Take a moment and reflect on these wonderful words so common today. Often recited, profaned at times, leaned upon for the promise and the comfort...and there is comfort here, but often too quickly read. So read it all... Really read it. When I allow him to be the shepherd...when I follow His leading, when I sit at His table, when I allow His Rod and Staff to comfort me (and to discipline me), then will goodness and mercy follow me all the days of my life.
Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

No comments: