Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mary, or Well behaved women...

I wonder, when I get to heaven, if I'll get to meet Mary? You know who I mean...like Cher, only a first name is necessary...on second thought, NOTHING like Cher. I wonder if I'll recongnize her? My Catholic friends are probobally looking at me like I've lost my mind, "of course you'll recognize her, you know, the Lady with the big halo." I'm resisting the urge to be playful with that last sentence...today's a more serious post. I imagine meeting Mary in an undramatic sort of way. Walking down a dirt path by a river at morning. A pleasant day with birds singing in the mornings song. We're in heaven. A woman approaches, she's pretty - not striking, but there's something about her that's too glaring not to notice. We sit together on a bench and begin to talk. She's humble, soft with her words and beautiful...I now see it. And then in a split second I know it's her...it's Mary. "What was it like? I mean, what things did you treasure in your heart that night?" To my surprise she begins to talk...she shares all the things that night the Savior was born...The angel, the angelic chorus, the shepards, the delivery... I say nothing as she answers every question I have - though I never ask a single one. Then she stands and she walks away, leaving me with a Jewish blessing as she goes...

There's so much about Mary. Depending on your denomination I guess she ranges from Queen of Heaven to "just a woman." You can read about her words spoken in the bible, her position - or lack of position. But for me, it's intriguing to stop for a moment to just ponder in my heart who "she" was. A very young woman with a beautiful heart who has served and loved God from her earliest days. A thoughtful and contimplative woman. Listening more than speaking. Humble. Obedient and willing to do whatever her Lord requires of her. And this...this was a pretty big deal! An angel appears and tells her she's about to be pregnant. She travels while "great with child." The manger. The angel again. The angelic choir. The shepards...and all the while Mary simply treasures these things, and ponders them in her heart. That's what I wanted to know...what were those things she pondered?

In Seneca Falls, NY - two miles from my home, there's a sign. "Well behaved women seldom make history." They might be wrong. Merry Christmas...

No comments: