Friday, March 27, 2009

Once upon a time

Life for me happens in events, moments...chapters. At least that's how I categorize it. As my children grow we tell stories. Stories of growing up, stories of dreams...stories we make up. Life is a story. Life is so many stories that blend together, ever changing, always becoming new. And stories change with our memory, or new information - or simply convenience. The government changes it's story all the time so it must be OK!
A friend gave me sound advice. He said, "stick to the high ground." No, wait - that was Sun Tzu. My friend said, "Stick to what you do best Button - A photo and some words. You're writing your life for your kids to read someday." He's right. I find it interesting, I look at the statistics of the hits to my blog. It's interesting to me, but not necessarily important. I like to see a new state or a new country represented. I like to see the same city frequently. But in truth I know that I really write for me...and for them. With this blog I no longer have to wonder where I left my notebook, or that scrap of paper. It's here. And it's here wherever I am if I can find an access point. How cool is that.
Though I like the convenience of this keyboard, I still love the feel of real ink or lead on real paper. I like stories that start with, "Once upon a time..." I guess I really should think of how to create a backup though. Shane?

No comments: