Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A friend of a Rock Star's dad



I'm laboring over a title for this one. It has to do with growing up. With getting older, but not getting old. And it poses the question, what was it like to be a friend of Mr. Morrison, Mr. Hendrix or even Mr. Jager (that is, Jim's dad, Jimmy's dad or Mick's dad). At work during lunch, we often all sit at a table reserved for the "other group." For years I've eyed suspiciously the group of old guys who sit near us. Today I relized that we're those guys. We've been doing this lunch thing for a long time now. But let me skip to Rock Stars. The topic lately has been Milo. Milo's the cool guy in the red and white stripes. Though Milo is one of the original members of RaRaRiot, I usually just think of him as "Tom's son." It's cool to have a friend who's the father of a Rock Star. It's great to watch Tom's excitement as he talks about the next city, the travel van, the free sneakers and the latest copy of Rolling Stone, or when he shares the next video or song before it's released...shhhhhh.... As I write these words I can't help think that Mick's dad had friends just like us. Friends who sat at lunch or coffee and talked politics and current events and listened to him brag on his son. I love it! But even if RaRaRiot becomes the next Rolling Stones, I suspect I'll always think of Milo as "Tom's son."

No comments: