Monday, June 23, 2008

Remembering...It's what I do



I wasn't in Vietnam, too young. Still, I feel connected to this, and any other war memorial - I take time for them. I served proudly and realize now that I was blessed to never see combat. I feel for the men who did, and I try and instill in my children a patriotism appropriate for the future. A respect for those men and women who have blessed us with our freedom at such great a cost. I don't think my youngest yet understands what the Vietnam Wall represents, but she will. What she did understand that day, is that these names are so important. I felt the photo on the left really illustrates what I want them to learn - to know. We may not be familiar with their names, but still we should honor them. Even if with just a fleeting touch of a 7 year old on a warm Memorial Day. And that guy on the right? I'll say a prayer for him tonight...for all of them.

No comments: