Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Twenty-two years ago my friend and I went to this place. My Ranger Buddy. The food was good, and coffee was good, but what I liked the most was the irony of it. We were still in the army, paratroopers, patriots, adventurers...real men! And this place was filled with protesters, draft dodgers, free El Salvadorians. Folk music and Jonny Cash were mainstays. I'm not sure why we went other than when I look back, I think we both had (still have) the ability to hold opposing viewpoints in balance within our minds and hearts. Sure, we mad fun of the posters and sometimes the people, but still on occasion, we went. To this day, when I think of the Antique Sandwich Co., I think, "cool place." And it's funny that the place is so close to Defiance Point! I was reminded of it a few months ago. And again last week. My friend Gene was there...and somehow it's reassuring to know that The Antique Sandwich Co. hasn't changed. It's not El Salvadore anymore, but Johnny Cash still plays, and the posters are still on the wall. It's funny too, how life changes. I wouldn't call Gene "Ranger Buddy" material in the strictest sense. "Peace through superior firepower," are not words I ever imagine coming out of his mouth as he pulls away in his hybrid car sporting a Republicans for Obama sticker...and yes, I still wonder about that, and Gene for that matter. But his friendship means the world to me. The bible says, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I guess it's just nice to know that places like the Sandwich Co. are still out there after all these years!

No comments: